Program for children and their families
This program helps 7- to 13-year-old children who come from disadvantaged families. The program can accommodate up to 50 children and their families. The activities take place twice or four times a week, depending on the age of the children and are adapted to their age and needs. The aims of the program are the development of self-discipline, of self-worth, of age-appropriate behavior and of cognitive, practical and motor skills.
Services offered to the children:
- The provision of a free meal Monday to Friday
- Psychological counselling
- Health education
- Formal and informal education: activities to develop their creativity and personal resources
- Educational activities: development of verbal communication and mathematical ability, support in doing homework for school, English lessons, tutoring for those who have fallen behind in their schoolwork
- Leisure and socialisation activities: films, drama, games, competitive sports
- Religious education and spiritual support.
Services offered to parents and families:
- Social assistance: assessment, counselling, mediation, monitoring through home visits
- Practical advice on parenting, both individually and in a structured class
- Practical support for the family unit: material aid, financial assistance in emergencies
Annual activities: Outings, summer camps, and celebrations at Christmas, Mothers’ Day, Easter, Children’s Day (June 1st), Romanian National Day (December 1st). See photos and more information from our BIG BROTHER & BIG SISTER 2015 camp here.
Staff: A social worker, a qualified educator, students from the Romanian Studies Program and local volunteers.
Visit our Facebook page –Veritas Sighisoara for more pictures and information of Kids’ Club activities: